Search This Blog

Statcounter




Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Cowgirl Trail Review!!!

*Cowgirl Trail by Susan Page Davis
Cowgirl Trail (The Texas Trail Series)
Book Description:
Cowgirl Trail is part of a six-book series about four generations of the Morgan family living, fighting, and thriving amidst a turbulent Texas history spanning from 1845 to 1896.  Although a series, each book book can be read on its own.
In 1884 Maggie Porter returns to the Rocking P Ranch. The sanatorium was not able to save her mother and now her father's health is failing. When the cowboys walk off the job leaving no one to drive the cattle to market, head ranch hand, Alex Bright, cannot convince the men to stay. How could Alex let this happen?
Maggie is desperate to save the ranch and she turns to the town's women for help. The new cowgirls must herd, rope, and drive the cattle to market. With only two days left, outlaws charge the small band of cowgirls in an effort to start a stampede. The cattle begin to scatter. Will they lose everything? Where will their help come from?


My Opinion: 
I was personally disappointed with this book. Now don't get me wrong I LOVE the way Susan P. Davis writes, and the characters she comes up with; (except for the fact that Maggie cried a little too much for my liking) yet I loved the times when Maggie was spunky! I think I would have liked Maggie's character more if I could relate to her (by this I mean if she where as tough as I hope I am and would be in these situations. Instead of tearing up every other page.) I did really enjoy the other characters especially Maggie's best friend. However no matter how much I WANTED to love this book, at the end of the day it was a let down. The pace was too slow to keep my attention for any long period of time. Part of the reason this isn't going on "My Favorite Books" list is mainly because I have lived on a ranch my entire life. More than half of that was raising cattle. I may not know all the facts about cattle ranches in 1884, but I do know that a lot of terms and facts where (frustratingly) incorrect. The first being calves don't "bleat", sheep do. Calves bawl. So if these issues don't bother you, and you didn't grow up around branding and ranching all your life, this may be a great book for you. But my honest opinion is that it left me wanting. :( I will be giving "Captive Trail" a chance though, because I REALLY do love Susan and her writing.

My songs for this book would have to be: "Standing On The Promises" by Alan Jackson and "I Keep On Lovin' You" by Reba

Psalms 119

~ASC


P.S. PLEASE follow my blog here!!!  Either by GFC or Network Blogs!  Look to the Left of this post to follow and share! :)

*I requested and received this book for the purpose of reviewing it.  The opinions expressed are my own true honest opinions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment