Search This Blog

Statcounter




Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Wedded to War Review!!!

Wedded to War by Jocelyn Green


http://www.amazon.com/Wedded-War-Heroines-Behind-Lines/dp/0802405762/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362510464&sr=1-1&keywords=Wedded+to+War

Book Description:

Wedded to War (Heroines Behind the Lines)It's April 1861, and the Union Army's Medical Department is a disaster, completely unprepared for the magnitude of war. A small group of New York City women, including 28-year-old Charlotte Waverly, decide to do something about it, and end up changing the course of the war, despite criticism, ridicule and social ostracism. Charlotte leaves a life of privilege, wealth-and confining expectations-to be one of the first female nurses for the Union Army. She quickly discovers that she's fighting more than just the Rebellion by working in the hospitals. Corruption, harassment, and opposition from Northern doctors threaten to push her out of her new role. At the same time, her sweetheart disapproves of her shocking strength and independence, forcing her to make an impossible decision: Will she choose love and marriage, or duty to a cause that seems to be losing? An Irish immigrant named Ruby O'Flannery, who turns to the unthinkable in the face of starvation, holds the secret that will unlock the door to Charlotte's future. But will the rich and poor confide in each other in time?

Wedded to War is a work of fiction, but the story is inspired by the true life of Civil War nurse Georgeanna Woolsey. Woolsey's letters and journals, written over 150 years ago, offer a thorough look of what pioneering nurses endured. 

Jocelyn Green's debut novel is endorsed by historians and professors for its historical accuracy and detail, by award-winning novelists for its spell-binding storytelling, and by entertainment journalists and book club leaders for its deep and complex content, perfect to share and discuss with others.

http://www.amazon.com/Wedded-War-Heroines-Behind-Lines/dp/0802405762/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1362510464&sr=1-1&keywords=Wedded+to+War

My Opinion:
I was a little torn in two in the middle of Wedded to War. So I think I should list the pros and cons to give my true opinion. I loved the new things I learned historically. I loved the characters, mainly Charlotte, Jacob, and Alice. Charlotte is the type of woman I hope I would have been if I was born in the Civil War era, but most likely would not have been nearly as strong and brave. I loved the end of the book and how it wrapped up beautifully bringing justice to all parties.

Now I must tell you the things that, for lack of a better word, bothered me. This book is not for the faint of heart. I also think it shouldn't be read by people 15 and under at least. Some of the scenes are graphic, in my opinion, and this book is for the person who wants the reality of the Civil War to sink in. You will be SO angry when the baddest guy gets away with things (or at least I was), but keep reading for the end is well worth it. Overall I do recommend this book, just to a more mature audience. It really is a fabulous read all around and after I got past part three and a little of four I really enjoyed the majority of it. :)

While there where a few times I didn't want to go on, and I didn't think I wanted to continue in the series anymore. In the end this is a MUST READ for an older audience because it is filled with wonderful messages that can't be missed! :)

P.S. In the description it states that two men love her. I thought I knew who these men where, but after reading the book I think it is someone not even mentioned on the back. Read for yourself and see who you think the two are? ;)

My songs for Wedded to War are my findings from songs mentioned right out of the pages of Jocelyn's work: "Blessed Assurance" by Mark Howard, John Mock, Stuart Duncan, "Amazing Grace" by Mark Howard, John Mock, Stuart Duncan, "Amazing Grace" by Celtic Woman, and "Glory Glory Hallelujah" by Joan Baez

I received this book for the purpose of a review.  This in no way affected my opinion of Wedded to War and the points expressed are completely, truthfully, my own. :)  Thanks for the review copy River North!

P.S. Thank you to all my followers those who have been with me for a while and all my new ones!  And if you haven't become one yet please do! :) ~ASC

No comments:

Post a Comment