Search This Blog

Statcounter




Saturday, December 7, 2013

Stones for Bread Review!!!

Stones for Bread by Christa Parrish

Book Description:
A solitary artisan. A legacy of bread-baking. And one secret that could collapse her entire identity.

Liesl McNamara's life can be described in one word: bread. From her earliest memory, her mother and grandmother passed down the mystery of baking and the importance of this deceptively simple food. And now, as the owner of Wild Rise bake house, Liesl spends every day up to her elbows in dough, nourishing and perfecting her craft.

But the simple life she has cultivated is becoming quite complicated. Her head baker brings his troubled grandson into the bakeshop as an apprentice. Her waitress submits her recipes to a popular cable cooking show. And the man who delivers her flour --- a single father with strange culinary 
habits --- seems determined to win Liesl's affection.

When Wild Rise is featured on television, her quiet existence appears a thing of the past. And then a phone call from a woman claiming to be her half-sister forces Liesl to confront long-hidden secrets in her family's past. With her precious heritage crumbling around her, the baker must make a choice: allow herself to be buried in detachment and remorse, or take a leap of faith into a new life.

Purchase your copy: http://ow.ly/qPvoG

Meet the author: Christa Parrish is the award-winning author of three novels, including the 2009 ECPA Fiction Book of the Year Watch Over Me. When she's not writing, she's a homeschool mother of three wonderful children. Married to author and pastor Chris Coppernoll, Christa serves with him as co-leader of their church's youth ministry as well as serving as a facilitator for a divorce recovery ministry. She is now also slightly obsessed with the art of baking bread.

Learn more about Christa at:http://christaparrish.com

My Opinion:
A great journey blending past and present while mixing interesting history throughout.  And of coarse I LOVE the added recipes!  I was SO excited when I read that there are 11 Artisan Bread recipes included.  :D  They make an excellent break from the emotional roller coasters and depth of feeling the author leads us on with her characters.  And I absolutely LOVE all that I learned about bread from this book.  I REALLY enjoyed it all.  Christa is such an expressive writer.  Sometimes the descriptions of things seemed a little odd to me, but then when I though about them I realized how observant an author she is to acknowledge certain smells and feelings when scenarios like these play out.  This a very touching book from the pains of sorrow to the joy and forgiveness that comes from and into Liesl's life.  The characters grow and expand into these people that you love and love to watch become a family.  Coming together when they need each other most, and all fitting together in there own unique quirkiness.  Stones for Bread is so much more than I expected it to be.  I love that a Fiber Tour is included in the story (more my turf ;) ) and I enjoyed how much I was surprised time after time when something new is revealed.  I found this book to be so interesting and good that even after a break from reading I picked the story right back up without having to refresh at all.  The only thing that gave me pause in the beginning and, for me, took some getting used to was the first person style it's written in.  While this is not my favorite style I grew to not mind it so much as I really got into the story and characters.  I loved the Bible verses included through out and the way their Faith grows.  A great read filled with so much from learning to let go and rely fully on God to learning to love and be loved.  A must read I think! :) 

Songs: "Finale" by Orchestra, "Silent Night" sung by Martina McBride, "Joy to the World (In the Style of Christmas Standard)[Instrumental Only]" from ProSource Karaoke, "Dance of The Sugar Plum Fairies Instrumental" from Christmas Music, "Es ist ein Ros' entsprungen (Instrumental)" by Kammerorchester Acanta, Erich Blessing, "One Bread, One Body" by Instrumental Piano Music, and "Hurricane" by Natalie Grant

Romans 8:14-17

~ASC

*I received this book for the purpose of reviewing it this in no way affected my opinion and the above are my true thoughts and feelings about Stones for Bread. ~ASC


No comments:

Post a Comment