Search This Blog

Statcounter




Saturday, February 15, 2014

Smitten Book Club Reviews!!!

Smitten Book Club Reviews by
Colleen Coble, Kristin Billerbeck, Diann Hunt, & Denise Hunter

Book Description:
The century-old Gentlewoman's Guide to Love and Courtship is no ordinary book club choice. But for the little book club in Smitten, Vermont, it might be their best pick yet!
The thick, leathery tome Heather pulled out of the dusty cardboard box was definitely coming home with her. Not only was The Gentlewoman's Guide to Love and Courtship an appealing curiosity by virtue of its title; it was also written by Smitten, Vermont native Pearl Chambers, a local gentlewoman from three generations back.
Little did Heather know the repercussions this little curiosity would have on her and her friends' romantic exploits.
When Heather and her fellow book club members begin passing the book around, their respective interpretations are unleashed on their respective love lives . . . for better or for worse. Is it a mystery? An idealist fantasy? An intimation of Jane Austen? As romantic love finds its way to each woman, the Guide proves itself both surprisingly prescient and hilariously irrelevant.
What's more, a handwritten inscription indicates that the arcane book might hold the only extant clues leading to buried gold---exactly what one of the members needs to keep her house. How could they not go treasure hunting?
In this remarkable collaborative novel, besties Colleen Coble, Kristin Billerbeck, Denise Hunter, and Diann Hunt tackle the tale of theGentlewoman's Guide by writing for one book club member apiece.Smitten Book Club is a hopeful, hilarious story of friendship and healing, written by friends for friends.

Purchase a copy: http://ow.ly/t7BO1

Meet the authors: 


RITA-finalist Colleen Coble is the author of several best-selling romantic suspense novels, including Tidewater Inn, and the Mercy Falls, Lonestar, and Rock Harbor series.  

Christy Award finalist and two-time winner of the ACFW Book of the Year award, Kristin Billerbeck has appeared on The Today Show and has been featured in the New York Times. Her books include A Billion Reasons Why and What a Girl Wants.  

Denise Hunter is the award-winning and best-selling author of several novels, including A Cowboy's Touch and Sweetwater Gap. She and her husband are raising three boys in Indiana. 

Diann Hunt has lived in Indiana forever, been happily married forever, loves her family, chocolate, her friends, her dog, and, well, chocolate. Diann lost her courageous battle with cancer in December 2013.

My Opinion:
A great read!  Smitten Book Club is the first of the Smitten books I've read.  And to tell you the truth the main reason I REALLY wanted to read this book is because of the treasure hunt mentioned in the description! :D  Smitten Book Club is set up into four stories with an author writing for the main character in each.  Colleen's name is the one that jumped out at me when I first got the invite to this tour.  She is a GREAT author and I have come to LOVE her stories!!!  Her descriptions are nice and full without being too full and making the book lag.  I LOVE these characters and enjoyed the Gentlewoman's Guide to Love and Courtship with it's quirky little advice.  I really loved how this first story got the ball rolling!  
I had never read anything from Kristin before and I found that I REALLY enjoy her writing!  I felt there was one little thing that didn't match up with the story before it about the passing of the book, but after that the second story was great.  I actually wish this story was longer! LOL!  I wanted more and it seemed to be over too fast! ;)  I love Kristin's scenes and I wanted more!!! :D
The third story by Diann was one of my favorites!  This is the first from Diann that I've read and I really thought this was a sweet one!  From the beginning she had me laughing so hard my sides ached.  Her style is GREAT!!!  Very expressive and I LOVE the spiritual messages woven throughout!  I LOVE the whole plot and all the characters!
Denise is an author that I've wanted to read before, but hadn't gotten the chance.  She wraps up this whole journey with a satisfying end!  I really love the humor she puts in her story and the whole plot twists are highly entertaining!  Denise's writing is very witty and I loved it!!!
Overall the mystery is GREAT and I really like the range of what the book club reads, from Anne of Green Gables to Gone with the Wind!!!  This is a very interesting and entertaining read!  The only editing that kinda bothers me is "He" when referring to God isn't capitalized, but that's something that bothers me personally.  All of these characters and stories are bonded with the same kind of story base.  A relationship with a major rift that needs to be fixed and healed.  How the authors take this base and grow a unique story from it is really cool!  I highly recommend this book and these authors with their amazing range of characters and plots!  

Songs: "Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)" by Chris Tomlin,
"America The Beautiful" by Twila Paris,
"Tara's Theme (Gone With The Wind)" by The Boston Pops Orchestra,
"He Leadeth Me" by The Cluster Pluckers,
"Que Sera Sera" by Doris Day,
"I Need Thee Every Hour" Mike Curb Congregation,
"Forgiveness" by Matthew West,
"Blessed Assurance" by Alan Jackson
"Joy to the World" by Whitney Houston with The Georgia Mass Choir,
"Silent Night" by Martina McBride,
"Hark! The Herald Angels Sing" Carrie Underwood,
"All You Can Do Is Wait" by Peter Deiwick,
"Mozart: Piano Sonata No.16 in C, K.545 "Sonata facile" - 1. Allegro" by Christoph Eschenbach,
and
"Doumka - Russian Country Scene, Op. 59" by Yuri A. Rozum

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

~ASC 

*I received this book for the purpose of reviewing it this in now way affected my opinion and the above are my true thought and feelings about Smitten Book Club. ~ASC

No comments:

Post a Comment