Search This Blog

Statcounter




Wednesday, July 22, 2015

To Capture Her Heart Review!!!!

To Capture Her Heart by Rebecca DeMarino

Book Description:
It is 1653 and Heather Flower, a princess of the Montauk tribe, is enjoying her wedding feast when her groom is killed and she is kidnapped by a rival tribe and held for ransom. Though her ransom is paid by an Englishman, she is nonetheless left to die in a Connecticut forest--until she finds herself rescued by handsome Dutch Lieutenant Dirk Van Buren. Torn between her affection for Dirk and her long friendship with family friend Benjamin Horton, Heather Flower must make a difficult choice--stay true to her friend or follow her heart.

Exploring a unique slice of history, Rebecca DeMarino transports readers to the wild land that would eventually become Long Island, New York. Her attention to detail and her captivating storytelling bring the New World to vivid life.


My Opinion:
I'm torn with this one.  I wanted to read To Capture Her Heart because I read A Place in His Heart and wanted to see how Rebecca continued the series.  I really LOVE the historical detail Rebecca puts in her stories and I especially love the descriptions of how people made things back then.  In the last book it was linen and in this one it's bayberry candles among other things!  I found that I enjoyed reading about Mary and Barnabas again.  Where I'm torn is I feel like the pace is a bit sluggish and only captures my attention for short periods of time.  Bouncing from season to season it's very interesting what day to day life held for people in this time in history, but I find myself not really drawn to Heather Flower like I was with Mary.  Heather Flower is an interesting character but I think I felt closer to Mary and more emotionally connected to the outcome.  A love triangle is at the heart of this tale and Rebecca is very crafty in not letting on who Heather Flower will choose in the end!  I found that there are times it's hard for me to read and then there will be a scene that I just devour!  The end is exciting and it has left me wondering what will happen next since it really doesn't have an ending.  Overall I'm finding it hard to finish this one, but it has made me want to see what the next one might hold.  Yup I'm torn :/
Songs to come:

Songs etc. May be changed and/or added in the future. ~ASC

~ASC

*I requested and received this book from Revell for the purpose of reviewing it.  This in no way affected my opinion and the above are my true thoughts and feelings about To Capture Her Heart. ~ASC

No comments:

Post a Comment