Search This Blog

Statcounter




Wednesday, March 21, 2018

A Refuge Assured Review Part 1!

Hello all! :)  So since A  Refuge Assured is a 400+ page book, and I am a self proclaimed "slow reader", add in there that it is a pretty deep book, and broken into 5 parts of it's own.  I was Inspired to review it in pieces.  
So as I read I'll be posting mini reviews on what I think about what I've read.  I hope you enjoy this new idea and follow along! :)
Happy Reading! ~ASC

A Refuge Assured by Jocelyn Green

Book Description:
35069159
Vivienne Rivard fled revolutionary France and seeks a new life for herself and a boy in her care, who some say is the Dauphin. But America is far from safe, as militiaman Liam Delaney knows. He proudly served in the American Revolution but is less sure of his role in the Whiskey Rebellion. Drawn together, will Liam and Vivienne find the peace they long for?







My Opinion:
DEEP READ!  Ok so I know that France has a very bloody history especially with the revolution times.  And that's where Jocelyn immediately drops you in the beginning, right in the beginning/middle of a lot of blood shed.  I will say that the horror of the details doesn't sit that well with me.  Especially because I read right before going to sleep so.......  I skimmed through many of the terrible details.  When I read the book description I was hoping that we would start in America and find out some of Vivienne's details looking back.  And since I had to skim through a good deal of horrifying detail I felt it could have easily been done.  This could be my own personal preference however, so if you're more hard core than I am perhaps you will disagree! ;)  Yes that's right, I might be a wimpy reader, but I'm embrace it! :D  The main character Vivienne however is a highly interesting one!  I can't wait to see what else happens to her and where else the story leads!  Also I absolutely LOVE the lacemaker parts and I hope there are more of those! :)

Songs: (I've chosen these songs because I hope that Vivienne will cling to The Lord and remember she is not alone and that she can find strength in Him.  I hope as the book goes on they will still fit :) ) "Healing Hand Of God" by Jeremy Camp, "Chain Breaker" by Zach Williams, and "Greater" by MercyMe
Songs etc. May be changed and/or added in the future. ~ASC

Psalm 142:5

~ASC

*I requested and received this book from Bethany House for the purpose of reviewing it.  This in no way affected my opinion and the above are my true thoughts and feelings about A Refuge Assured. ~ASC

No comments:

Post a Comment