Search This Blog

Statcounter




Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Winnowing Season Review!!!

*The Winnowing Season 
by Cindy Woodsmall


Book Description:
The tornado that devastated Kings’ Orchard pushed Rhoda, Samuel, and Jacob to make a new start in Maine. Are they strong enough to withstand the challenges of establishing an Amish community—and brave enough to face the secrets that move with them?

On the eve of their departure to begin a new Old Order Amish community outside of Unity, Maine, Rhoda Byler is shocked to discover that choices made by her business partner and friend, Samuel King, have placed her and her unusual gifts directly into the path of her district’s bishop and preachers. She is furious with Samuel and is fearful that the Kings will be influenced by the way her leaders see her, and not what they know to be true—that Rhoda’s intuition is a gift from God.

Jacob King won’t be swayed by community speculation. He loves Rhoda, believes in her, and wants to build a future with her in Maine. But when the ghosts of his past come calling and require him to fulfill a great debt, can he shake their hold before it destroys what he has with Rhoda? Samuel has a secret of his own—one he’ll go to great lengths to keep hidden, even if it means alienating those closest to him. Throwing himself into rehabilitating the once-abandoned orchard, Samuel turns to a surprising new ally.

Book 2 of the Amish Vines and Orchards series asks: can the three faithfully follow God’s leading and build a new home and orchard in Maine? Or will this new beginning lead to more ruin and heartbreak?

My Opinion:
What an excellent sequel!  I absolutely LOVED IT!!!  From the beginning I though Rhoda was with the wrong brother.  Don't get me wrong I love Jacob but I loved Samuel first! LOL!  That said I was on the edge of my seat ready to read this sequel because of the way the first one ended!  In The Winnowing Season feelings fly and who will end up still together by the end?  This can be a stand alone book because there is a catch up in the beginning.  So if you missed A Season for Tending (I suggest you get it and catch up!) but you don't have to because Cindy will tell you the highlights of what you missed before taking you forward.  I love the relationships in this story with Landon, Leah, Phoebe  and Steven thrown into this mix I grew to love each character for there own right.  From the beginning I was surprised by the events happening; after we left them in Maine in the first book I had in my head how I thought things where gonna go.  I was a bit wrong! LOL!  Actually Cindy comes up with scenes that I NEVER saw coming and I LOVED THEM!!!  With trouble lurking around nearly every corner The Winnowing Season really shows the ups and downs people can have in this life.  But it also holds the message that if you trust and have faith in God's will and timing everything will turn out okay, and of how there are different paths for all of us.  God has His plan for us and others and we need to learn that we can't always control what those paths or plans are.  (A lesson some of us {ME!} have had to learn the hard way)  I have my suspicions of how certain things will tie together and I can't wait to see if I'm right! :D  Mystery, stress, joy, love, pain, surprise, lies, faith, friends, family, choices, and excitement are all swirled into a wonderful story!  I can't WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!!

I must compliment Cindy on having a glossary of Pennsylvania Dutch in the back of her book.  While those of us that have read enough Amish books to translate Pen. Dutch as we read, I always love when I see the courtesy of a glossary.  New Amish readers will be greatly helped with the translations and it never hurts to double check and make sure you really know what they just said! :D
  
Songs that go with this book and are taken right from the pages are: "Stand by Your Man" Tammy Wynette, "You Raise Me Up" by Sung Ji Song, "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree" by Amy Grant

Exodus 14:14

~ASC

Links with more info. about The Winnowing Season and Cindy:

Cindy's Website
Cindy on Facebook
More Info
Read Chapter One of The Winnowing Season
Cindy's Bio

Places to buy The Winnowing Season:

CBD.com

Amazon.com

*I received this book from Blogging for Books for the purpose of writing an honest review.  This had no affect on my opinion and the above is truly my honest opinion. ~ASC


No comments:

Post a Comment