Search This Blog

Statcounter




Monday, January 16, 2017

A Moonbow Night Review

A Moonbow Night by Laura Frantz

Book Description:
After fleeing Virginia, Temperance Tucker and her family established an inn along the Shawnee River. It's a welcome way station for settlers and frontiersmen traveling through the wild Cumberland region of Kentucke--men like Sion Morgan, a Virginia surveyor who arrives at the inn with his crew looking for an experienced guide. When his guide appears, Sion balks. He certainly didn't expect a woman. But it is not long before he must admit that Tempe's skill in the wilderness rivals his own. 


Still, the tenuous tie they are forming is put to the test as they encounter danger after danger and must rely on each other.

My Opinion: 
Not a book for me.  I've read a few of Laura's books and really enjoyed them, but this one just wasn't for me.  It was haunting at times, and I'm really not a fan of reads that are filled with the sad haunting style, especially this much.  It seemed to lack any joy or really much hope.  And I longed for a thread of humor or happiness.  I enjoy reading suspense and even drama, but I need a thread of humor, joy, or hope to make it enjoyable personally [you know that comic relief factor? ;) ].  There were so many scenes that just did not sit well with me, and then every now and then there was a scene that I enjoyed.  By the end there were a hand full of scenes that I liked, but the book as a whole wasn't one I enjoyed. :(  And the pace lagged a bit for me also.  It took me a while to get into this one and I had to persevere until about chapter 4 before it really hooked me and then it lost me again quickly.  At one time I thought about not finishing, and by the end I skimmed through pieces that I felt could have been cut out.  On a positive note I did like some of the characters!  Tempe is an interesting and tough little character and though I wanted a bigger, fuller redemption scene from Sion he was also a very interesting character.  Overall there are interesting things historically, but it's not my favorite from Laura.

Songs: "Come As You Are" by Crowder and "Jesus" by Chris Tomlin

Songs etc. May be changed and/or added in the future. ~ASC

Psalm 139, Jeremiah 2:2

~ASC

*I requested and received this book from Revell for the purpose of reviewing it.  This in no way affected my opinion and the above are my true thoughts and feelings about A Moonbow Night. ~ASC


No comments:

Post a Comment