Search This Blog

Statcounter




Friday, March 22, 2013

Scent of Lilacs Review!!!

*Scent of Lilacs by Ann H. Gabhart


Book Description:
Life-changing events rarely happen here, and when they do, they are few and far between. But for Jocie Brooke and her family, they happen all at once. Jocie has questions that need answers. As she digs into her family's past, she finds a whirlwind of discoveries, and everything begins to change. In the end, will Jocie find the answers everyone so desperately needs, or will her questions lead to truths that were better left uncovered? 

Combining unforgettable characters, true-to-life struggles, and the perfect dose of humor and nostalgia, this riveting story takes readers through the universal experiences of true love, new life, and renewed faith. With a beautiful new cover, Scent of Lilacs is poised to capture the hearts of readers everywhere.



My Opinion:
I usually don't read books along these lines, but when I read the first page on Amazon I fell in love immediately. Ann Gabhart sucked me into with her way of writing and then further with the shocking twists, turns, and absolute surprises within. I was amazed at how many surprises came out in this one book. I loved it! I was always on my toes waiting to see what would happen to these characters next! While it is a coming of age kinda tale, with Jocie, Scent of Lilacs is so much more to! Learning that you don't always know all the circumstances about someone's past and how to trust in the Lord through thick and thin is the base of the story, I feel. I wholeheartedly recommend this book. I love the character traits that I shared with Jocie which drew me closer to her character and Ann's writing and story is wonderful all the way through the end!! I can't wait to see what else Hollyhill has to hold and be told! :)

There are so many wonderful songs mentioned in the pages that I couldn't choose just a few so...: "Hound Dog" by Elvis Presley, "Love Me Tender" by Elvis Presley, "Sixteen Tons" by Tennessee Ernie Ford, "Amazing Grace//Bristol, Tennessee- November 1964" by Tennessee Ernie Ford, "In the Sweet Bye and Bye" by Soundtrack/cast Album, "Trust & Obey" by Chelsea Moon & The Franz Brothers, and "The Twist" by Chubby Checkers! :)

And finally I don't know why, or even if this song truly goes with Scent of Lilacs, but I feel led to pair Amy Grants "Better than a Hallelujah" with it. Read the book listen to the song and see what you think :)

John 14:1

~ASC

“Available March 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”

*I received a review copy of Scent of Lilac from the publisher for the purpose of reviewing here on my blog.  This in no affected my opinion of the book and the above it how I truly feel about the book! :) ~ASC

No comments:

Post a Comment