Search This Blog

Statcounter




Monday, April 29, 2013

North of Hope Review.

North of Hope by Shannon Polson


Book Description:
After her parents are killed in a rare grizzly attack, the author is forced into a wilderness of grief. Turning to loves she learned from her father, Polson explores the perilous terrain of grief through music, the natural world, and her faith. Her travels take her from the suburbs of Seattle to the concert hall where she sings Mozart's Requiem, and ultimately into the wilderness of Alaska's remote Arctic and of her heart.

My Honest Opinion:
First of all I want to say I don't want to hurt or upset Shannon Polson the author of this book. That said I must give my honest opinion about North of Hope.

I was disappointed. Some of you that follow know that I don't usually read non-fiction. But I dove into this thinking it would be interesting. And there where parts of it that are really good. I liked the way Shannon wrote some of the scenes and I even loved how I could relate to the pain of loss though her circumstances are far more shocking and heart breaking than anything I've personally experienced. Now, I must tell you that I didn't even finish reading the whole book. I got so upset and bogged down by the secular and miss information leaning (I felt) towards evolution with millions of years and carbon layers that I couldn't even finish reading. I was home schooled with a Christian curriculum. It was taught and further explained (in my opinion proven) that this world is only 6,013 years old. Starting with 4,000 B.C. and counting down to 1 then start counting back up; thus we have 2013 A.D. Some (or possibly most) of you may think I'm overreacting in not completing the book for these reasons, and I was going to just over look the years thing and make a comment in my review. But when the millions of years and carbon thing about the bear happened on top of other strange comments I got bogged down and frustrated. For those of you that don't agree or think that I am mistaken you are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but this is my honest opinion. Now like I said the whole book isn't bad. There are some great things, I think, especially for someone who may have a friend that has suffered a shocking and great loss recently and you are trying to understand the way they are acting out or actually feeling inside. But I do think you should skip over certain parts. The thing that bothers me is that the years and carbon issues did not have to be included/added in this book and it would have been SO much better with out them! I don't want to hurt the author, because I'm sure writing and sharing this journey was a helpful and great way to express pain and help healing, but this is my opinion of North of Hope.

I did not pair song with this book.

~ASC

*I received this book for the purpose of reviewing it.  This in no way affected my opinion of North of Hope and the above is how I truly feel. ~ASC

No comments:

Post a Comment