Search This Blog

Statcounter




Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Moses Conspiracy Q and A

Q and A with Susan J. Reinhardt


1. What inspired you to write The Moses Conspiracy?

My late husband and I visited Gettysburg prior to Christmas in 2004. While standing in the old town square, surrounded by history, I could "hear" the forefathers' voices. However, they were like fading echoes.

After several failed attempts to write non-fiction pieces, I put it on the back burner and prayed for direction. In August 2005, my husband and I were talking about "the Gettysburg experience," and he said, "That's it! That's your book! And you'll write it in 4 months and call it Ghosts of the Past."

I thought he was crazy, but caught the vision. The name changed to Echoes of the Past and later to The Moses Conspiracy. When I sat down at the computer, I had no clue what I was going to write. By Christmas 2005, I had 55,000 words. 

2. How long did it take you to write the book? Was it an easy journey?


The first draft took 4 months, but then I had to learn how to write fiction. I cut my writing teeth on this book. There were multiple re-writes while I shopped it around. It took 8 years to write, get a contract, and an agent.

The journey was far from easy. From 2006-2007, I wrote very little due to my husband's battle with leukemia, death, and subsequent challenges. When I came through the grief process, I knew I had to finish the book both in his memory and because I felt the Lord had directed me to write it.

3. What do you hope readers will take away from your book?

There are several messages, including the faithfulness of God during difficult times, the importance of protecting our freedoms, and building strong family relationships.

4. What genre is your book?

I loosely define The Moses Conspiracy as Christian Speculative Fiction because it takes place in 2025. Although it takes place in the near future, I've avoided a lot of techno-babble. One take-away I wanted for the reader was the possibility this or something similar could happen.

5. Please give us a thumbnail sketch of The Moses Conspiracy.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Moses-Conspiracy-Novel-ebook/dp/B00BV8ZQ0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363885974&sr=8-1&keywords=the+moses+conspiracy

A trip to post-terrorized Washington, D.C. in 2025 and an unusual buggy accident in Bird-in-Hand, PA set in motion events that expose a diabolical plan to destroy the Christian community. Ellie and John Zimmerman find themselves embroiled in a life-threatening investigation, fighting a shadowy enemy.

6. What are you working on now?

The Moses Conspiracy is the first book in a trilogy. Book 2, with a working title of, "The Scent of Fear," takes place 3 years after the initial story. The rough draft is written and is now in the editing stage. The third book, "Lost and Found," is still in its infancy. Each book is a stand-alone novel, but builds upon the previous plotline.

7. Tell us a little about your writing background.

I've written for many years, but only started my publishing journey 10 years ago. Non-fiction is my first love, and I'd still like to produce a devotional or other non-fiction book down the road. I digress. I've had numerous devotions, short pieces, and a few compilation stories published along the way.

Fiction has always interested me, but I never pursued it until a visit to Gettysburg in 2004 stuck in my mind.

8. What advice would you give others on the writing path?

Each journey is different, but the main thing I'd advise is to stay true to the vision God has given you. That said, publication may come in non-traditional forms such as self-publishing, print-on-demand, or ebooks.

I considered all these options when shopping The Moses Conspiracy around the usual channels, but never felt a peace about them. Helping Hands Press, a small, independent, royalty publisher, and I connected with each other through a mutual friend, author Kathi Macias.

9. Tell us about "the call."

LOL, it wasn't a call. It was actually a series of email communications. My eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw the subject line, "We want to work for you. Can we talk on the phone?"

10. How did you react?

I did the ol' Snoopy dance and then near-panic set in. This was the moment I'd waited for, but could I really do this? After a pep talk from my critique partners and good friends, I settled down and started checking off items on my to-do list. Yes, I have a list for everything!



*P.S. I have not read the Moses Conspiracy therefore I can't tell you whether it is a book
I enjoy or approve of.  I am posting this because I wanted to help out after being asked and I thought some of you, my readers, may be interested! :)  While this is not the genre I am personally interested in I agreed to post about this book because I feel Susan truly follows God and His leading.  I hope it's a wonderful read with a blessed message and that it helps you walk closer to our Lord and Savior! :) ~ASC  

6 comments:

  1. Hi Amada -

    Thank you for having me on your blog today. I'll try to stop by again later to answer any questions or comments your readers may have.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing Susan :) Happy I could help get word out about your book :)

      ~ASC

      Delete
  2. It's great to meet you, Amada! I enjoyed the interview, thanks so much for sharing this with us. For the record, I am the same way. This book is not in a genre I would normally gravitate toward either. I just finished it, though, and enjoyed it very much. Susan's a great writer, and I hope to read more of her books. Wishing Susan all the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You to Karen! Thanks for coming by! :) Sometimes when the author is REALLY good the genre doesn't always matter! LOL! I have been shocked when I've taken a few chances on different genres.

      Hugs
      ~ASC

      Delete
  3. Hi Karen -

    Thanks for the vote of confidence!

    Questions for readers: What's your favorite genre? Do you ever venture out of your comfort zone to read other genres? Why?

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great questions Susan :) I can't wait to see what other's answers are! :)

      ~ASC

      Delete